On March 16, 1849, land was purchased by three trustees of the Catholic Church. Property was located on South State, opposite to its intersection by Washington Street. The first St. Mary’s was established on this location. In 1856, property was purchased at North State Street where the church, the rectory, and the convent currently stand. The building was completed in 1861, and in 1895 and 1940, the church was expanded to accommodate more space. When more room was again required, the church made the choice to instead tear down the old church and build a newer, larger once. The razing of the old church began June 6, 1955. On July 11, 1955, Mr. George Payne, the general contractor, began the work of excavating for the new building with Mr. William Koehl of Cleveland as the architect. The cornerstone was laid October 23, 1955.