The Lake Hospital System had been located in Painesville since 1902 as Lake County’s first chartered hospital was formed when the New Connecticut Chapter of Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) initiated a drive to provide a hospital for the Painesville area. Just two years later, the Painesville Hospital Association opened its doors in the Stephen Mathews Residence on Washington Street. The early days of Painesville Hospital were characterized by financial difficulties and “growing pains” caused by the exploding population. In 1924, the Lake County commissioners took control of Painesville Hospital, and it officially became Lake County Memorial Hospital.
The hospital operated as a county facility until it became a private entity in 1985 when the not-for-profit charitable organization known as Lake Hospital System assumed operation. After operating for just shy of 25 years, the Lake Hospital closed its doors in 2009, and was then demolished in 2010. The current empty lot sits behind the Victoria Place building, at one Victoria Square.