Garfield Park was originally the summer home of John Newell, brother-in-law to President James A. Garfield's son. Newell's house is now the site of a large swimming pool, and the carriage house still remains intact. The park's pond has been used throughout the years as a winter ice skating spot and at one time had a boathouse to accompany it.
The park was the first public park created in Mentor and owed its existence to Eleanor Borton Garfield, the former mayor of Mentor and President Garfield's granddaughter-in-law. The park was created in the late 1950's.