The first fire truck arrived in the village of Mentor in 1921. Fire Station #1 was built on the corner of Jackson Street and Mentor Avenue in 1942. It housed two engines and some other apparatus. Originally manned by volunteers, the Mentor Village…

In the 1950s and 1960’s, Lake County was booming both in prosperity and population (nearly doubling during this time from 75,979 in 1950 to 148,700 in 1960), transforming from largely rural villages and farms into modern postwar suburbs. Due to this…

On June 17, 1850, the passenger steamer ship, The G.P. Griffith, caught on fire, and burned, and sank on Lake Erie, being the third worst disaster on Lake Erie (Also on all of the Great Lakes) in history. About 241 to 289 people were burned to death…

A city park since 1800, it is located in Downtown Painesville and is the pride of the city offering beautiful gardens and plenty of open green space. The park has a gazebo that is very popular as a site for weddings and gatherings. Veteran's Park…

The central building of the Morley Library on Phelps Street was provided by the local Women’s Christian Temperance Union, which established a temperance library and reading room in 1878. The public library was created when groups began to donate…